The Toymaker's Apprentice (2015)

Sunday, August 20, 2017


Title                       : The Toymaker's Apprentice
Author                  : Sherri L. Smith
Genre                   : Children Fiction/Fantasy
Rating                   : 7.6/10

Stefan Drosselmeyer is a reluctant apprentice to his toymaker father until the day his world is turned upside down. His father is kidnapped and Stefan is enlisted by his mysterious cousin, Christian Drosselmeyer, to find a mythical nut to save a princess who has been turned into a wooden doll.

Embarking on a wild adventure through Germany, Stefan must save Boldavia’s princess and his own father from the fanatical Mouse Queen and her seven-headed Mouse Prince, both of whom have sworn to destroy the Drosselmeyer family. 

Before read this book, I don't have any expectation about this book. Reading the first and the second part of the book, I thought it was a light, new, and refreshing story. But by the time I reached the last part of the book, I just realized that it's just another version of The Nutcracker story! I'm amazed how Sherri L. Smith write the story so that the reader (or perhaps, just me) realized about "The Nutcracker" story nearly the end of the book. 

But, as a read the book, I wonder when will the story end. Which means it contains a lot of pages (nearly 400 pages) and only a few pictures (Oh I love a picture inside a book!). From the story itself, I expected that there will be a lot more story about The Boldavia Kingdom family. But until the very end there's no another story. And I realized that Sherri L. Smith write about Clara (or Marie) once in a while (in Stefan's mind) to always remind the reader that a character called Clara (or Marie) is exist and rather important in the end of the book. But how come that they can be in love with each other with just a one time meeting. There should be more story about they're being together.

As a non-english speaker, I feel that the english isn't as simple as the other books I've already read. But above all, a few plot twists still got me with the story.
***

You Might Also Like

0 komentar

Instagram