The School for Good and Evil #4: Quest For Glory (2017)

Monday, July 09, 2018

Title                      : The School for Good and Evil #4: Quest For Glory
Author                  : Soman Chainani
Genre                   : Fantasy
Rating                   : 8.3/10


The students at the School for Good and Evil thought they had found their Ever After when they vanquished the malevolent School Master. Little do they know that their world is about to grow bigger-and so are their stories.
In order to graduate, everyone must complete a fourth-year “Quest for Glory”. Not only are these quest dangerous and unpredictable, but the stakes are high: success brings eternal adoration, and failure means obscurity forever.
For their quests, Agatha and Tedros are trying to return Camelot to its former splendor as queen and king. For her quest, Dean Sophie seeks to mold Evil in her own image. But soon they all feel themselves growing more isolated and alone...
When their classmates’ quests plunge into chaos, however, someone must lead the charge to save them. If Good and Evil can’t find a way to work together, neither side will survive.


After knowing the title for the third book, The Last Ever After, I thought this series will end with the trilogy. Never did I know, that Soman Chainani decided to prolong the series. Truthfully, the first time I saw the book on the bookshelf of a book store in town, my mind literally went like, “What? Why is there another sequel of this book? What’s left to be told when they already found their happy ending?” But I decided to buy the book anyway, hoping to find something I wish to know that is still unsolved from the third book.

The fourth book, however, will not tell you the unsolved mystery from the last book (or at least anything that I wish I knew after reading the third book, you can read my review of the third book for reference). The mystery remains unsolved, and a new adventure begins. Well, it’s not completely new story actually, because it will tell you the life of the students from the School for Good and Evil after the School Master defeated.

As we know from the last book, and also from the synopsis above, Agatha and Tedros are back to Camelot to become the queen and king, while Sophie remains at the school as the new Dean of Evil. It sounds boring at first to become a story, but at this point, something happened. As I said before, a new adventure started with some new characters who doesn’t appear in the first three books. With the conflict between The Lion and The Snake from Camelot's ancient tale, the book will tell you the story from 3 points of view, Sophie, Agatha, and Tedros, unlike the previous book.

This is actually what I felt when I read the first chapter of the book, boring. The book is 568 pages thick and I need about 5 months to finish it. Among that 5 months, I spent more than 4 months only to reach page 210. It was hard to read the book because I’m not that excited by the story. But after I reached page 210, things got a lot better and better. I finished the rest of the book just in a week.

Soman is being clever in this book, because the plot and the twists is so much better even more than the second book (which is the best among the series in my opinion before I read this book). Even I didn’t pay attention at all for the humor (if there is) because I’m too focused on the story itself. As I read the book, my mind is busy trying to guess any possible scenario about what will happen next or what is the reason behind the story. But, before my curiosity is answered, the author will give even more twist to the plot. The story is also well written as I can feel my emotion is ragged as I read about Agatha act dumb blinded by so-called love. And I can feel my heart beat as I read the final chapter, knowing that soon I will know the reason behind all. But again, I’m wrong. The mystery remains unsolved even after I finished the last page of the book. And from this, I know that the series will continue to book #5.

Overall, the book is quite good, it has the feel like the second book, but better (I guess). Thus, I give this book 8.3/10. I wonder how is the fifth book will get? Will it be as good as this one?

***

You Might Also Like

0 komentar

Instagram