Furthermore (2016)

Thursday, January 25, 2018


Title                       : Furthermore
Author                  : Tahereh Mafi
Genre                   : Children Fiction/Fantasy
Rating                   : 8/10

Once upon a time, a girl was forgot...

In a world brimming with colour and magic, Alice’s pale skin and milk-white hair mark her as an outcast. For the people of Ferenwood, colour and magic are one and the same. Alice is determined to prove her magical abilities and solve the mystery of her father’s disappearance.

To do so she’ll have to travel into the mythical, dangerous land of Furthermore. But nothing there is as it seems, and Alice may never find her way home...

This is the first book that I finished in 2018, although I started it a few months back in 2017 tho. And also, this is the first book that I purchased from BookDepository. Yo guys, I have to tell you that I love that site, because they have so many books that I couldn’t find in my local bookstore! Their packaging is also a top notch! I only purchased 2 things one time, this book and a postcard book, yet they pack it in 35x28x11 cm box with this huge and thick bubble wrap (not the usual bubble wrap that I loved to pop, it’s not popable!). More over, they free shipping worldwide yo! I couldn’t ask more. But I just have to admit tho, that it took quite a while for the book arrived at my house. But hey with that services, I can be patient a little bit more.

Anyway, back to the topic. About this book, Furthermore, I’m also quite satisfied with it. First thing first, the cover book is just beautiful. The illustration is drawn very well and represent the story very well. You know, I’m that kind of girl that judge a book by it’s cover (literally). And this book, ladies and gentleman, also has the most magical and wild imagination that I’ve read for a while. When I read the first part of the story, I thought that it would be another version of Alice in Wonderland, just because the main character’s name is Alice, and she has an adventure in a magical world. But it turned out to be different with Alice in Wonderland, it’s just Alice in Furthermore!

Overall I like the new and fresh story, and also I like how Tahereh Mafi put herself as the third person, the narrator. I imagined it like the narrator that we often heard in fairy tale / disney movie, which not only focused to the story, but also to the reader.

But, as always, when I read a book, I also have some things that I’m not really like about it. First of all, this book is lack of illustration. You know how much I love illustration in a book, but besides that, illustration also can be very helpful for the reader to portraying the story. And the last thing is that I’m not quite sure where the climax is supposed to be. Because I think that the climax is like in the middle part of the story, but after that it’s still followed by another conflicts. I felt like it’s weird to put the climax in the middle part of the story and then add another conflict afterward, it will made the end part of the story is being rushed and not satisfying. At least that’s what I thought about this book.

I just realized that I gave Tahereh Mafi’s book a similar score with his husband’s, Ransom Riggs. Oh, when the first time I google her, I found out that she’s married to Ransom Riggs. I felt really familiar with that name but I couldn't remember who he was at that time. It turned out to be the author of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. By the way, I’ve actually finished reading the second book of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children: Hollow City. But it has been quite a while and I can’t remember how I felt about the book, all I can remember is how I compare the book with the movie. It’s nothing like the movie. I think the movie is all about the first book and also a llittle amount about the third book. There’s nothing about the second book in the movie.

Anyway, that’s all for today’s book review. Currently, I’m already reading another book, but it’s quite old (but not very old, I mean, the hype for this book is already over). So, see you again when I finished the book.

You Might Also Like

0 komentar

Instagram