The School for Good and Evil #3: The Last Ever After (2015) – Spoiler Alert!

Monday, January 18, 2016

Title                      : The School for Good and Evil #3: The Last Ever After
Author                  : Soman Chainani
Genre                   : Fantasy
Score                    : 7.8/10


Everything old is new again as Sophie and Agatha fight the past as well as the present to find the perfect end to their fairy tale.
Once best friends, now enemies, Sophie and Agatha thought their end was sealed when they went their separate ways. Agatha was whisked back to Gavaldon with Tedros, and Sophie stayed behind with the beautiful young School Master.
But as they settle into their new lives, their story begs to be rewritten, and this time, theirs isn’t the only one. With the girls apart, Evil has taken over, and the villains of the past have come back with a vangeance. Not only do they want a second chance at their fairy tales, but they mean to transform the old world of Good and Evil into a new dark realm with Sophie as its Queen. Only Agatha and Tedros stand in the way of Evil’s deadly reign – and the Last Ever After of all.

In this book, finally Soman revealed all the mysteries from book #1 and #2, so I can’t help but to leak some part of the story here, sorry.

After reading the first 2 books of The School for Good and Evil, I wondered how the book will end. Because, as we’ve already known all the alternative endings has been used in the first 2 books (ending to the love of best friends and the love of lover-boy and girl). Neither of them lead to a happy ending. I also wondered on whom this book sided. Since the first book’s mostly about Agatha, and the second book’s about Sophie.

In this book, I thought all the main characters had returned to their nature in the first book. Sophie with her ego, Agatha with her silly-kindness, and Tedros with his childishness. I don’t know, but I didn’t really like that. I thought Soman will tell them in a different character from book #1 and book #2. But then, I realize that the main characters’re only a group of teenager, sure they should be childish and unstable (I hope I don’t sound like sarcasm right now). But my heart still didn’t move to one of them. I think I can be neutral now.

As I said before, in this book, Soman revealed all the mysteries he had kept from book #1 and #2. The stories about the mysteries I’ve been curious about making me excited and fell for this book. In this book, Soman wrote the story about Sophie and Agatha’s parents, the ‘true’ relation between them, about the schoolmaster, Gavaldon, Lady Lesso, Merlin, and Tedros’s mother. Even Lady Lesso said her real name in this book, I can’t believe this!

Besides it’s darker story than the previous book, the story is also surprisingly sad. It made me cry when I read about Lady Lesso’s death and when Sophie, Agatha, and Stefan reunited. Oh, and don’t forget about that last letter from Lady Lesso for Sophie. 

The ending’s not quite good. It’s ended up with Agatha being happy with Tedros at Camelot, and Sophie being happy, but alone, as the new School Dean. I thought Soman will make both Sophie and Agatha have their own lover, the ‘real’ one. I thought he would make a difference with the other fairy tale by proving that the villain has some goodness in her/his self, good enough to be loved and to have a lover. Like what he did in the second book. And the fact that Stefan’s still not knowing that Agatha’s also her daughter wasn’t a good idea. And for those reasons, I only can give 7.8/10 for this book.


I’m not satisfied with the ending, I’m still craving for more stories, about Sophie and Hort’s love story, about Stefan, who finally will find out the truth about Agatha and Sophie, and about who will be the new School Master. I wish there will be another bonus story about that. And actually, I prefer Sophie being the new School Master than the new Evil School Dean. Well, that’s only my random opinion, don’t mind about that.
***

You Might Also Like

0 komentar

Instagram