Wildwood (2011)

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Title                       : Wildwood (Wildwood Chronicles #1)
Author                  : Colin Meloy
Illustrator            : Carson Ellis
Genre                   : Fantasy
Rating                   : 7.5/10


Prue McKeel’s life is ordinary. At least until her baby brother is abducted by a murder of crows. And then things get really weird.
 You see, on every map of Portland, Oregon, there is a big splotch of green on the edge of the city labeled "I.W." This stands for "Impassable Wilderness." No one’s ever gone in—or at least returned to tell of it.
 And this is where the crows take her brother.
 So begins an adventure that will take Prue and her friend Curtis deep into the Impassable Wilderness. There they uncover a secret world in the midst of violent upheaval, a world full of warring creatures, peaceable mystics, and powerful figures with the darkest intentions. And what begins as a rescue mission becomes something much bigger as the two friends find themselves entwined in a struggle for the very freedom of this wilderness.
 A wilderness the locals call Wildwood.
This is the book with a beautiful illustration as its cover, the reason why I bought this book. Honestly, I’m so in love with the illustration in this book, I even don’t mind with the thickness of this book (it’s 541 page novel!) cause I’m so in love! Carson Ellis surely did a wonderful job in this book.
And for the story, Colin Meloy did a good job as well. Usually I didn’t really like books with a lot of pages in it (more than 450 pages) because I’ll need more time to finish the book and I’ll forget the story often (since, I think, I have a short term memory). It will end up with me not understanding the story at the end. And I hate it when I don’t understand the story from the book I’ve bought. It’s a waste of money. BUT, it didn’t happen with this book. Surprisingly!
I really enjoyed read this book. The story is interesting. At first, I really need a long time to finish the first chapter because I think it was just so so. First impression is important for a thick book like this and I didn’t find it really good in this book. But as I read more, the story starting to become more interesting.
The other problem that I find about this book is, I think this book could be a little thinner. Colin Meloy wrote the story in a very detail narration. A little bit too much little detail, I think. When I read the story, I skipped a lot of words, about the little detail (some words that I really don’t understand what it should be meaning). Although I did that, I still can understand what the story about. So, I think, that if Colin Meloy reduce the little detail (with the hard words), the book will become thinner and more fun to read.
But, in the end, Colin Meloy still keep a secret about Curtis’s story. That’s, I believe, will be revealed in the second book, Under Wildwood. The secret will be enough to make the reader curious about the next book. And so I think 7.5/10 is a fair score for this book.
PS: Honestly, now I realize, why I always give a small score for the books I’ve read? Is it  too small?

***

You Might Also Like

0 komentar

Instagram